I bet you cannot stop hearing about Dr. Seuss
at the moment! Are you kids nagging you to read “Green Eggs and Ham” for the umpteenth time in a row?! Are your students only listening to you if you make all of your commands rhyme?!
Why not entertain the kiddos with some Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat themed Oreo treats? Keep reading to find out how to create these adorable snacks!
Yields: 1 dozen
12 regular Oreos cookies
3 graham cracker sleeves – broken along perforated lines (4 per sleeve-12 total)
12 oz bag Wilton bright white candy melts
3/4 cup Wilton red candy melts
4 large white Airhead candies
24 small candy eyes
2 black licorice wheels – unroll each wheel and cut 24 (1/2 inch) pieces for 48 total
Wilton black icing gel
White icing gel
1. Warm the white candy melts in a double boiler over medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Transfer to a small microwave-safe bowl for easier handling.
2. Place 2 tablespoons of the melted white candy into each of the molds (12 total).
3. Place an Oreo cookie on top of the melted white chocolate.
4. Spoon additional melted chocolate on top of each Oreo, up to the fill line. Set aside the remaining melted white chocolate for later use in step 10.
5. Chill for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
6. Line a large baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Place the 12 graham cracker rectangles on the baking sheet.
7. Add the red candy melts to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth.
8. Dip each graham cracker into the melted red chocolate, covering each piece entirely. Place back on the lined baking sheet to allow to harden.
8. Cut each large white Airhead candy into 12 thin strips- 48 total. (I used a kitchen shears).
9. Once the chocolate red ‘hats’ have hardened, apply a small amount of white icing gel to the back of three airhead strips. Place the three strips on one hat, leaving space between each one. Repeat until all of the hats have three white stripes.
10. Gently pop the chilled Oreos out of their molds and place on the lined baking sheet.
11. Re-heat the leftover melted white candy melts (from step 4) in the microwave for 30-35 seconds. Dip one side of the white Airhead strips into the melted chocolate and place them at the top of each Oreo for the brim of the hat. The strip should be going across the top of each cookie, horizontally, about 1/2 inch from the top.
12. Apply about a teaspoon of melted white chocolate on top of each Oreo, above the newly-placed hat brim and place the red striped hat on top. Hold in place for 15 seconds.
13. With the black icing gel, pipe 2 eyebrows onto each cookie, directly underneath the hat brim.
14. Apply a dab of white icing to the back of 2 candy eyes and place on each cookie, underneath the eyebrows.
15. Apply a dab of white icing to the back of four black licorice strips. Affix 2 strips on each side of the face for the whiskers. Pipe a black nose in between the whiskers with the black icing gel.
16. Add a smile on each Oreo with the black icing gel.
Plain Cookie Chocolate candy mold by Life of the party https://www.amazon.com/
Wilton 1911-1300 Candy Melts, Bright White https://www.amazon.com/
Wilton Red Candy Melts, 12-Ounce https://www.amazon.
Wilton Candy Eyeballs,0.88 oz,Count of 56 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B
Airheads Bars, White Mystery, 0.55 Ounce (Pack of 36) https://www.amazon.com/dp/
Black Licorice Wheels (1 Pound) https://www.amazon.com/
Wilton Black Gel Tube, 0.75 Oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/
Wilton White Gel Tube https://www.amazon.com/